Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Hello.. i am new to the Board and i have a questio

  1. #1
    Inactive Member PSIxH22A's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 1999
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi.. I have a 98 Prelude with a custom turbo. the person who did the kit (Charles Madrid and Chris Hansen from Atomic Performance) i think some of you have heard about charles.. anyways they mounted my fuel pump under my hood.. Tanabe sponsored my car and when i went there they checked it out and one of them said that the fuel pump mounted under the hood rather than under the gas tank is really dangerous and could possibly catch on fire.. is this true? i talked to charles and he said its no big deal to mount the pump in back.. but if its not dangerous then why bother.. but i'm really worried if it is.. thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Ho_Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 1999
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I think the fuel pressure would be the same under the hood no matter where the pump is. I don't know about the fire stuff though. All the electric pumps I see on race cars are at the rear where the gas tank is, especially on NHRA race cars. I don't know if theres a law about it though.
    Sorry about not knowing more.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member PSIxH22A's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 1999
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks for your help.. the guys said that if the electric fuel pump sparked or something then it could ignite any gases in the engine bay.. so he said i should relocate it.. does that make sense? im rather confused on what exactly i should do

  4. #4
    Inactive Member PSIxH22A's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 1999
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    oh really?? thanks for the help..yeah its an SX fuel pump so it can be submersed into the tank.. i'm pretty sure im going to relocate the pump into the back.. just as a precaution.. hehe.. thanks a lot! if u find out anything else about it let me know!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Ho_Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 1999
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Thanks, I'll also look forward to hearing more about your turbo install. I'm trying to decide if I should turbo or go with the sc in my 97 GSR. Sometimes, I think that I should sell it and buy a new Camaro od Firebird instead. I understand that they have planned stuff for 10 years ahead on that new engine and we haven't seen anything yet.
    I'm not going to rush into it yet, as I've seen my brother go in circles before and with a family, I have to be careful what I spend on what.
    I'll let you know if I find out anymore, thanks again.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Ho_Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 1999
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    My brother says that the NHRA rules say to mount the pump in the rear and it should not be in the passenger compartment. The rules are the same for fuel pressure gauges, they have to be outside the passenger compartment too unless they are electric.
    I would think that since there's a lot of heat up front that maybe putting the pump in the rear would be best. Is it a kind that can go in the gas tank? That would be nice because it would be quieter than bolted to the frame.
    I'm sorry I don't know more on this, I,m just started too, but my brother has been doing cars for a while.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member PSIxH22A's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 1999
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i already have the turbo kit on!.. i've been running it for about 5 months now! i just had my boost turned up to 9psi for the Import Nationals this weekend.. about your GS-R many people on this board seem to be more than pleased with their SC's, they seem like pretty reliable and fast setups.. however what really convinced me is when i saw a guy at pomona street legals run a 13.8 on street tires with a drag turbo kit @ 7 psi.. that really amazed me hehe!.. yeah the 99 camaros are SWEET!.. though i love imports i also like nice american cars.. the LS1 is such a nice engine.. and that car stock will be about even with your FI Gsr.. either choice is good.. but since you already have a gsr.. you can just build that up.. the camaro will be a bit more reliable though hehe..

  8. #8
    1fstGSR
    Guest 1fstGSR's Avatar

    Post

    This ain't bragging just info for the SC capability. I ran a 13.79 @ 102.79 MPH on Pirelli 700Z (which have 36000 miles on them now smile) with a 6 psi JRSC kit. So yes it is possible to go that fast with a SC too wink Fastest I ran before I leaned the motor out too much (hey I want more and more power soooo) was a 13.24 @ 104.59 with a 8 psi kit, but this was with slicks.
    On the topside, I could walk away from Z28 upto redline. remember pushroad V8's power band start way low (and I know you know this smile) so when you are winding it out on ths topside it just doesn't pull way up in the powerband like our GS-R's do!
    Welcome to the board Bro!
    later,
    Will "wildman" Smith


    ------------------
    13.24 on a smokin' motor can't be bad!?!




    [This message has been edited by 1fstGSR (edited November 25, 1999).]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Ho_Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 1999
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like your answers on the turbo and the supercharger. I especially like both psi and "wildman's" willingness to be openminded on this subject. Both the turbo and the blower sound good to me.
    One question is which is really harder to install. I know the blower takes a day or so and I'm not exactly sure on the turbo. If all the plumbing is with the kit, are the turbos a bolt on deal. I know the exhaust has to be welded, but that's not a problem.
    On the blowers, I talked to a guy who just got one and he said it didn't have a support brace and it's a brand new kit.
    I'm still going to do something soon because I got a week off during Christmas and I'm ready to do the car.
    Thank you guys. You all are not as mean spirited as that stuff last week. It's good to see that stuff gone for good. This is a good board.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member PSIxH22A's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 1999
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    1fstgsr- 13.2 is such a good time!!!! seriously.. thats the time i'm hoping to hit with my prelude.. what size slicks were you running?? and how much were you boosting? and 13.79 on street tires is damn good.. i wish i could hit that on my street tires heeh..
    Ho-Train- i think that the supercharger would be easier to install.. there are some bolt-on turbo kits but it still requires some modifications.. such as trimming the fans and bumper reinforcements to fit your intercooler etc.. if your the type who like to do your own installs personally i'd go with the sc.. but i'm partial to turbos and how they are set up.. nothing against SC's becuase FI is FI.. you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •